some of the findings:
- Virginia Beach lost 1,402 residents in 2006. Its population now stands at 435,619. It is the most populous city in Virginia, but Fairfax County is still more than twice as big, with more than 1 million residents.
- Norfolk lost about 1,663 residents in 2006. Its population stands at 229,112. It is the second-most-populous city in Virginia. Chesapeake and Richmond are Nos. 3 and 4.
- Suffolk is one of the 100 fastest-growing counties and county-equivalents in the United States.
- Chesapeake is poised to pass Norfolk in a few years. Its population stands at 220,560. It has gained about 21,000 residents since 2000.
- Portsmouth is clinging by its fingernails to the 100,000 plateau.