Wednesday, July 28, 2004

ponies

Yes, today is the day. The infamous last Wednesday of July pony swim, or formally, the '79th Annual Pony Penning.' Crowds of about 50,000 people congregate at Chincoteague's Memorial Park to watch the ponies make their historic crossing across the Assateague Channel. After the swim, 'Saltwater Cowboys' will herd the ponies and their foals to the carnival grounds, where the baby ponies will be auctioned the next day. Proceeds benefit the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Co.



Was I there? No. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen the ponsy swim, but I estimate about 15. Has my daughter seen it? No. Do I want her to more than anything? Of course, it is a part of my heritage. But good golly, that's a whole lot of people in a small area! I need a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment